Wellington fire victims applaud level of treatment so far
SIERRA LEONE, Freetown: Some of the fire victims from the Wellington tanker explosion have applauded the level of treatment being given to them so far by both the country’s medical experts in collaboration with foreign medics including the Chinese experts.
Doctor Jia, an experienced Chinese burn specialist disclosed to Awoko that the condition of some of the victims from the Wellington tanker explosion is improving.
According to Dortor Yonghu Jah, when he heard about the incidence, he felt sorrow for the victims and decided to render his support.
He said that with his team, they collaborated with the Government Medical team at the Connaught Hospital including doctors, nurses and volunteers from the Red Cross to see how they could rescue the lives of those people that were badly hurt from the incident.
“The first day when I knew about the disaster, I felt bad and had to rush to help the victims. That is my only thinking, no other thinking. So we found our way to the Connaught immediately to join the treatment team. Me and a private Chinese Doctor from the beginning to now, have not been absent even for a day.”
Dr Jia said he also helped donating four eggs to each victim for three days and stopped when he realized that Government has intervened in that light. He said such type of food is relevant for burn patients. “Egg is good for burn patients for their nutrition and protein in particular.”
They used to have 12 patients at Ward 10 at Connaught hospital in particular, but three had already been discharged from the Ward according to Dr. Jia.
He said they have been helping in checking the patients and dressing their wounds. “The patients are much better,” he said.
According to one of the victims James Daquwa, he was unconscious and don’t know exactly what really happened to him after the tanker explosion at Wellington. He was rushed to the Connaught, Hospital, where he has been under intense medical treatment.
“For now I’m feeling better compared to before. The Doctors and Nurses are treating us well and giving us all the treatments we need to help us heal as quickly as possible.”
Another victim Sheku Bunduca also re-echoed similar situation. He said after the explosion, he did not know himself and what had happened to him, as his condition was very critical. He was transferred from the Rokupr Government Hospital to the Connaught Hospital.
“I want to thank God for my health for this moment, as the Doctors and Nurses are really doing their best to ensure we are okay. Things have started to get better for me. I was unable to walk but now I could walk. I was unable to sit with my buttock but now I’m sitting with it, which is a big improvement”
On Monday 22nd November, 12 of the victims were discharged from the Connaught Hospital and were supported with bag of rice each, vegetable oil, tin milk and host of other items.
According to the Minister of Health and Sanitation Dr. Austin Demby they are going to build a Burns Unit at Connaught Hospital and other hospitals as the case may be to be treating burn patients.
He said they need funds, and called on partners across the country and the world to help in that regard.
Currently there are about 150 people who have died as a result of the tanker explosion from Wellington, while others are still responding to treatment. MJB/24/11/2021
By [email protected]