Paralympics Table Tennis player George Wyndam has expressed disappointment with officials of the sports ministry, prior to his departure on Tuesday 8th April to compete in a competition in Jordan.
He is due to take part in the Jordan Open and Continental Championship lasting for a week.
George Wyndam said the sports ministry and other stakeholders could not provide him with the necessary funds he needs to make the trip to Jordan.
George Wyndam won silver and two bronze medals in a similar competition last year. The Jordan Open and Continental Championship will serve as qualifier for the World Table Tennis Championships in China.
He praised Mercury International Charity Foundation for coming to his aide at the eleventh hour.
Meanwhile, Deputy Sports Minister Ishmael Al-Sankoh Conteh described George Wyndam’s statements as ‘hasty.’
He said the sports ministry recognizes and appreciates the athlete.
“The sports ministry has allocated some amount of money for his trip to Jordan but the Ministry of Finance could not provide the money on time but we will surely give him what he is due when he returns from Jordan,” Ishmael Al-Sankoh Conteh said.
He encouraged George to do his best despite going to the championship without a coach.
By Bernad Turay
Thursday April 10, 2014