The lead investigator in the on-going preliminary investigations on the alleged murder of an employee of SSGI, Swalihun Kallon,yesterday told the court that he was instructed by the Director of Public Prosecution to release the four South Africans who were arrested for the alleged offence.
Grant Koroma attached to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) said the deceased was alleged to have been murdered by four other employees of the same institution.
The accused are Ahmed Kabba, Saidu Sheriff, George Allie and Momoh Ensah who are facing two count charges of conspiracy to commit murder and murder.
During cross-examination by the third accused, George Allie who had no legal representation in the matter together with the other accused, the witness (Grant Koroma) states that according to the statements of the first and second accused (Ahmed Kabba and Saidu Sheriff, their contract was about to be terminated, so they decided to do some ritual sacrifice which resulted in the killing of Swalihun Kallon for their positions to be upgraded.
The witness admitted asking the accused whether he went with the two white South Africans to the crime scene, which according to him, the South Africans also confirmed that they went with the third accused to the place where the deceased was murdered, explaining that the South Africans were not charged to court together with the accused based on an instruction they received from the DPP that they should release them.
Responding to a question put to him by the accused, as to why the South Africans were not charged to court for the same offence, the witness, said the investigating team did not search the premises of the third accused simply because he gave them different addresses including Mile 91 and even the address of his girlfriend, where according to him, he sometimes slept, which gave them the impression that he did not have any permanent address, but denied telling the third accused that the South Africans had already confessed to him as they (police) only needed the accused to give evidence against the South Africans.
He disclosed that one of the boys who was in the patrol team with the accused on the night of the alleged incident, Joseph Sesay, made a statement to the police in Rutile and was put on bail, as they believed there was nothing against him in relation to the matter.
The matter was adjourned to Monday 23rd June 2014, for continuation
Wednesday June 18, 2014