The World Health Organization (WHO) has confirmed that the only laboratory in Kailahun has been closed temporarily.
Also the WHO has withdrawn all its staff from the area hardest hit by the Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone.
This comes after a Senegalese Epidemiologist working for the organisation tested positive for Ebola.
The WHO says their workers need detraumatize and the cause of the infection needs investigation.
Also it is reported that the MSF has pulled back some of their staff from the district saying it is for rest and recovery.
Staff of MSF, the report said, since the first reported case of EBOLA, had been very active in Kailahun, to attend to both suspected and confirmed cases, and this they handled effectively with no infection rate on staff of MSF.
The report further states that since the World Health Organization (WHO) coordination staff joined MSF in Kailahun, working relations had not been that rosy between the two international medical institutions, resulting in a WHO Senegalese doctor being infected with the EBOLA virus and a nurse who has also passed away, and they were all residing in the same residence in Kailahun.
For safety reasons, this situation prompted Canada to withdraw their nationals who were working with MSF at the laboratory; as a result, there is no professional laboratory technician in Kailahun at the moment, to carry out sample tests, which has further slowed the process of testing, because samples are now taken to the laboratory in Kenema.
On the way forward, another source from the Ministry, disclosed to Awoko that the issue is being discussed at top level between Government and the two institutions to settle the matter, in order that the laboratory resumes its operation, of sample testing in a professional manner to save more lives.
Also the source revealed that the replacement of the former WHO Country Representative, Dr. Jacob Mafunda, might be connected with the slow intervention of laboratory and health specialists, including what happened in Kailahun.
Meanwhile it is reported that another Sierra Leonean doctor Tamba Rogers (according to the BBC) has died becoming the third of local doctors to suffer this fate.
With the arrival of the WHO coordination team, headed by a South African, haemorrhagic laboratory specialist stationed at the TB and Leprosy Hospital in the Western area, and the new WHO Country Representative, it is expected that the EBOLA crisis, if well-coordinated by all concerned, lasting preventive and recovery solutions would have been found, and the epidemic will soon be a thing of the past, in the countries affected in the sub-region and other parts of the Global Village.
By Ade Campbell
Wednesday August 27, 2014