MIS-REPRESENTATION OF FACTS: PETROLEUM STRATEGIC STOCKS FUNDS
It has come to the notice of the PETROLEUM UNIT, that recently, misleading articles have been published in some local newspapers. This could not have occurred if the information carried had been crosschecked with the Petroleum Unit Directors and individuals mentioned, before publication. In these circumstances, we feel compelled to correct these misinformation and the implied allegations, by making known the following facts as they related to the articles published:
1. Authority to disburse the PETROLEUM PRODUCTS STRATEGIC STOCK FUNDS does not rest with the Directors of the Petroleum Unit.
2. At no time did the Ministry of Finance, or any other agent of Government, write to the Director of the Petroleum Unit, Mr. Dan Mason, requesting a loan of any kind, or for any reason.
3. The Strategic Stock Fund is managed by an Implementation Committee, chaired by the Minister of Trade and Industry, and comprising fifteen (15) broadly-based representative national institutions. The Petroleum Unit serves as a member, in a technical capacity.
4. At no time had the Petroleum Unit Directors authorized any disbursement or provided funding for any political campaign or to any individuals, or towards any Road Works. We therefore strongly refute the allegations and innuendoes in all their forms, to the contrary.
5. The core function of the office of the Petroleum Unit is to secure an efficient and reliable petroleum downstream sector in Sierra Leone, in a regulated framework.
The Directors of the Petroleum Unit have released this statement in order to correct the negative impressions carried by the recent articles and, to appeal to Editors and Reporters to respect the rights of individuals by CROSS-CHECKING contents of intended articles with the institutions and individuals so-mentioned, before publication and especially when the articles are grossly negative in content and, personal