The Kenema City Council (KCC) has held its last council meeting at the council’s conference hall along Maxwell Khobe Street in Kenema city.
Giving the purpose of the meeting the outgoing Deputy Mayor of the Kenema City Council Margaret Siaka disclosed that the meeting was aimed at giving a report on the work and development of the council to the people. She says the task of the council has not been easy during the past four years in office.
The Deputy Mayor further disclosed that the decentralization process that was introduced in the country after 34 years had been new ideas for most new comers in the council. She however noted that the rate and market dues collected daily are not enough to maintain the office and pay staff salaries. She added that the year’s late taxpayers did not cooperate with the council as expected which she said frustrates the functions of the council for the past years.
Madam Siaka however says despite all difficulties they encountered during the past years she explained that the council was able to undertake some development projects within the city which includes the construction of culverts, bridges, water taps, public toilets, schools and market centers within the municipality.
She further explained how the council succeeded in winning over the government and NASSIT to construct an international multipurpose lorry park along Hangha road which if completed she said would create jobs for the youths.
The Deputy Mayor also disclosed that the rehabilitation of Combema road and Koroma streets, which started last year, has not yet been completed. The Deputy Mayor however appealed to the new area engineer of the Sierra Leone Road Authority (SLRA) to use his good office to see that the Kenema city road project is completed on time.
Youths Threaten to Disrupt July 5 polls A group of youths claiming to be natives of Paki Masabong Chiefdom in the Bombali District are reported to have issued threats of disrupting polling day on Saturday July 5, 2008.
The threats which are contained in two separate letters were sent to the Local Unit Commander and the other to the Assistant District Elections Officer in Makeni.
According to the content of the letters, the aggrieved youths accused the National Electoral Commission (NEC) of bias in the recruitment of staff for the registration exercise.
They further stated that NEC recruited youths from Bombuli Sebore chiefdom in Makeni for the registration of wards 92, 93, 94, in their chiefdom. The recruited staffs, according to the youths are not only unqualified but also unfit for the job.
In that light, they are threatening to disrupt the voting exercise on July 5 as a way of seeking redress for being marginalised.
However in their defence, the Assistant District Elections Officer Bombali district Christiana Orilie, said the recruitment of staffs for the registration exercise at Paki Masabong was done in accordance with the criteria set by NEC. The first of such criteria was the conducting of an examination for all applicants which the aggrieved youth failed.
When the final short listed list of applicants was released after the exams, natives of Paki Masabong residing in Makeni where among the staff recruited for the job. Meanwhile a robust police patrol team has since been deployed in the area to neutralize the tense situation ahead of polling day on July 5 2008.