The Sierra Leone Gullah Kinship Association is respectfully requesting for government’s collaborative support in using history to rebuild Sierra Leone through the Ethnic Card Project.
At a press conference over the weekend at the Association office in Freetown, the President M’bompa H Dumbuya said that the rebuilding project is to strengthen the Sierra Leone Kinship Association through government support to assist in the rebuilding of Sierra Leone by playing the ethnic card in American Politics.
He added that Sierra Leone must use Queen Quet’s visit “Chieftain and Head of State of the Gullah Geechee nation” to launch diplomatic strategies for the rapid development of Sierra Leone.
Mr. Dumbuya disclosed that other African nations with less or no historical links to the United States (US) are forging links with African- Americans and are receiving grants from the US government annually.
The President cited that the government of Benin staked five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) to kick start their process.
He noted that in less than two years with only half of that amount spent, the government in turn received seven hundred million dollars ($700, 000,000) from the US government during George Bush’s visit to Africa in February 2008.
Mr. Dumbuya emphasized that Sierra Leone must build a very strong political alliance with their Gullah/Geechee nation and other stakeholders in the US, adding that “we have designed a three-year plan of action to effect the ‘Rebuilding Act’ in the US congress.
Based on the document from Queen Quet to President Ernest Koroma, Queen Quet intends to visit Sierra Leone in December 2008 disclosed Mr. Dumbuya.
Buttressing this, the Country Director of the association Augustine Bockarie said that, funds needed for Queen Quet visit is one Hundred and Eighty Million Leone’s (Le180,000,000) and three hundred thousand dollars ($ 300,000) to facilitate the diplomatic strategy and the funds shall be controlled by the task force of line ministries, Vice Presidency’s office and the Sierra Leone Gullah Kinship Association. Mr. Bockarie stressed that Sierra Leone must use Queen Quet’s visit as a means to achieving our goals for rapid development of Sierra Leone through the Ethnic Card. He maintained that “we have done 80% of the job over the years and the remaining 20% is left with the government’s political will. Presently, he said Sierra Leone is a donor-driven country, noting that, we need more of grants now (permanent grants) in order to achieve a rapid national development than loans. The Country Director stated that it is only this connection that can help us achieve a permanent grant from the US.