In today’s edition we are going to look at Law 16 of football which is Goal-Kick.
• When the whole of the ball passes over the goal-line excluding that portion between the goal-posts, either in the air or on the ground, having last been played by one of the attacking teams.
• It shall be kicked direct into play beyond the penalty –area from any point within the goal-area by the player of the defending team.
• A goalkeeper shall not receive the ball into his hands from a goal-kick in order that he may thereafter kick it into play.
• If the ball is not kicked beyond the penalty –area ie direct into play, the kick shall be retaken. The kicker shall not play the ball a second time until it has touched or been played by another player.
• If a player taking a goal kick plays the ball a second time after it has passed beyond the penalty area, but before it has touched or been played by another player, an indirect free-kick shall be awarded to the opposing team.
• To be taken from the place where the infringement occurred subject to the overriding conditions imposed in the law.