Hundreds of residents in Kenema city on Tuesday afternoon rushed to the police barracks to put out a fire that was engulfing one of the buildings, Block 9 and10.
The fire reportedly started around 4pm.
Speaking to one of the occupants Amadu Kamara, from whose room the fire started, he explained that he was boiling water under one of the mango trees in the compound when the Bo/Kenema power service (BKPS) was switched on.
Few minutes later, the electricity went off and what he saw was smoke coming from the roof. He then shouted and rushed to his room where his wife, Marie, and their daughter Angela were asleep. He then took the child and woke up his wife.
The said the apartment belonged to his father, Sergeant Idriss Kamara who is detailed at Mano Junction.
Kamara further explained that they were not able to save the property at Block 9 but most of those at Block 10 were taken to safety.
Two people, Denis Lahai and Amodu Kamara, sustained injuries
Kenema city does not have fire prevention facilities, and residents were fetching water in buckets to put out the fire.
This is the second fire accident in a month time.