The headquarters of the Forum for Africa Women Educationalists which bears the acronym FAWE, situated at the back of the Ministry of Defence, was on Tuesday night engulfed by fire which destroyed the top floor.
The cause of the fire is said to have started from a ‘pan body’ makeshift cinema which unknowingly caught fire during the hours of 10:00 pm, and quickly spread to the roof of the two storey FAWE building, destroying valuable documents, money, accessories and other items that have been stored pending donation.
The Project Manager of FAWE, Eugene Femi Smart said that when the building caught fire, neighbours who had begun putting it out with enthusiasm, alerted them, while in turn, they also called the attention of the National Fire Force, which arrived promptly.
But sadly though, he said, with all the efforts by Fire Force to put out the fire, their attempts were hampered by the lack of equipment, as the only fire engine ran out of water, causing the men to search for hydrants.
By the time the fire officers could locate a hydrant,the top floor had been completely destroyed, leaving cracked walls.
Workers of FAWE were seen yesterday, sadly seated infront of the building, as administrative activities remain stalled after the fire incident.
Eugene Femi Smart said that they are waiting on the Executives of FAWE to reach a decision, regarding the incident.
However, in recent times, fire has claimed at least two important buildings in the city in most cases because they are situated near makeshifts corrugated buildings(Pan bodies).
Example of this is the Bethel WAM Church, Circular Road, which lost its side view recently when an old wooden building situated next door caught fire in a broad day.